Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Track Lighting (for museums and the rest of us)

I get a lot of questions about lighting both artwork and interiors in general, so I want to share some very useful info. I sent this article to J & E a while back when I was helping them redesign their space and in turn maximize their lighting story for their art. I referred to it recently for another project I am working on because I find it very handy - especially the section in determining the proper location for the tracks. For instance, to avoid glare and shadows, lights should be angled between 30 and 45 degrees.

I think the example they give in the picture sets the viewing level a bit low (5'), but you can easily recalculate the "adjacent" distance from wall to track by remembering your trig ratios for right triangles (math geeks unite!):







where a = ceiling height
and A = angle in degrees

The article goes on to discuss the steps museums take to avoid prolonged exposure of art and artifacts to ultraviolet radiation, the need for UV filters, and profound (positive) effect dimmers have on contributing to the long-term preservation of art and objects.

Part One
Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment