Thursday, January 22, 2009

Take Your Place in History

Another one of my favorite artists, On Kawara, currently has a show at David Zwirner Gallery in NYC. Kawara is famous for making paintings of the date and sending daily postcards to friends stating, "I am still alive." The show at Zwirner focuses on his 20-volume book series, One Million Years, in which he lists, year by year, one million years before 1969 (when the project was started) and one million years after 1969. I bought an hour-long recording of an excerpt of the book being read about 10 years ago (and S hates it so much that I am not allowed to play it at home). As part of the show, Zwirner is producing a CD recording of all of the books being read and you can sign up to be a reader. There are two recording booths in the gallery to immortalize your recitation of years for years to come. Information to do this is available on the gallery's website: www.davidzwirner.com.

2 comments:

  1. I think I would take the same position if I was S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather be a reader than a listener.

    ReplyDelete