Sunday, March 1, 2009

South of the Border

Although Cambridge really isn't south, it does seem so far away to many Bostonians (including me). The drive across the Harvard Bridge is a much bigger obstacle than it should be. Whenever I'm in Cambridge I feel like I am on vacation, in another city with great things to do and where English is the primary language.
Yesterday, I checked out the List Center at MIT (which is in Cambridge). Right now there is a show by Melanie Smith, who lives in Mexico City and creates works about the city. The central piece in the exhibit is called "Spiral City," which is a grainy balck and white aerial video of Mexico City taken from a helicopter. The city becomes abstract patterns and it made me think about Mesoamerican hieroglyphics. Even more successful than this video is a series of gorgeous paintings that seem based on the video- abstract cityscapes from above done in tones of gray. The most beautiful painting was obstructed by a concrete wall built in the gallery in front of the painting- recreating the boundaries in Mexico City, keeping people out. If you go, make sure you also see the video playing across the hall. I won't tell you what it's about...

No comments:

Post a Comment