Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Prints Only?


Lately I have been struggling with the concept of "focus" in a collection. I started out collecting artist books and prints, but have found it difficult to stick with one medium or even a theme. In the last year or so, I have been buying drawings, sculpture, and some excellent work that defies categorization, such as rising art star, Brian Glaser's peice entitled, "I will leave less than this behind," made out of over 5,000 found cigarette butts.
In a kind of organic process, I think a focus has been slowly evolving out of my art purchases- artists in the early phase of their careers. It has been really fun to buy without a safety net, following my own instincts and tastes. In fact, some of my biggest art buying regrets have been not following those instincts and not buying Tara Donovan and Judith Larsen years ago.

1 comment:

  1. I also think about "focus" from time to time. I sometimes feel like I/we have a focus, but, then I see something new that makes me question that. Maybe it will always be this way, and it will be less about focus for me and more about the "direction" we are currently taking.

    ReplyDelete